Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Where's Waldo?

Where I have been, you ask? OK, so nobody asked - it was rhetorical freakin' QUESTION, ALL RIGHT?
.......
Anyway, yes, the avalanche of Fall start up hit, and hit hard. Not so much in dealing with making sure courses were up, profs were alive and actually in their courses, as much as being on the receiving end of a litany of complaints about system slowness. And yes...it...is...sloooooow. Why? Don't ask me - I just handle the pedagogical aspects here. Anecdotal evidence derived from chatting with my profs suggests that at least some students have dropped online courses out of frustation. Yikes.

Rather than add yet another pitchfork to the angry throng of MIDizens chasing after the SLN development team, I reached out and pulled a favor. Got some Keynote data from my old boss, Bob- thanks, Bob, I owe you at least one pint at Clark's - more like two or three.

Will it help? Dunno; but it doesn't hurt to pitch in where you can.

On another front, I've learned a possible workaround in my laptop configuration dilemna. Without spilling top-secret campus security policies, I'll just say that what I thought was an aberration (not allowing an authenticated login via LDAP) is the norm, and that in some cases....insert redacted text here :-) So, I'm off to a wireless hotspot to perform a little "experiment"...

No comments: